Monday, February 06, 2006

Diner


I was loking on Amazon to see if one of my favourite movies is available on DVD. "No" is the answer unless you have a region 1 (USA/Canada compatible player). Shame as my video is now buggered and I can't watch it anymore. Diner was a 'flick' made in 1982, directed by Barry Levinson, which starred a lot of unknown actors but they all went on to become big Hollywood names. The likes of ....Steve Guttenberg, Daniel Stern, Mickey Rourke, Kevin Bacon, Timothy Daly and Ellen Barkin. Kind of unique that a movie has been made that so many went from nobodys to big names eventually. Must show some talent of the casting director or the director himself. Its a move much about nothing , but still gripping in that you feel by the end that you know each of the characters mainly due to the excellent acting. I can't help but think that Quentin Tarantino was inspired by the dialogue of this film. Such classic lines. Shrevie: Ok, now ask me what's on the flip side. Beth: Why? Shrevie: Just, just ask me what's on the flip side, OK? Beth: What is on the flip side? Shrevie: Hey, Hey, Hey, 1958. Specialty Records. [Beth nods blankly] Shrevie: See? You don't ask me things like that, do you? No! You never ask me what's on the flip side. Beth: No! Because I don't give a shit. Shrevie, who cares about what's on the flip side about the record? Shrevie: I do! Every one of my records means something! The label, the producer, the year it was made. Who was copying whose style... who's expanding on that, don't you understand? When I listen to my records they take me back to certain points in my life, OK? Just don't touch my records, ever! You! The first time I met you? Modell's sister's high school graduation party, right? 1955. And Ain't That A Shame was playing when I walked into the door!

Modell: You know what word I'm not comfortable with? Nuance. It's not a real word. Like gesture. Gesture's a real word. With gesture you know where you stand. But nuance? I don't know. Maybe I'm wrong.

No comments: